To a point

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on August 17, 2000 at 12:36:19:

In Reply to: John Browning got 'em ALL right!! posted by Cueball on August 17, 2000 at 12:24:38:

: : Understand. I'd doubt he'd have a brand loyalty, though, as he carries everything from a Smith and Wesson, to a Colt, to a Webley, to the Browning.....I think he's using what is available at the time. (or at least the writer did. (grins)) I'll say the P-35 is about the nicest firing 9 mm I've ever shot. Very well made pistol. John Browning got that one right. Regards. Michaelson

: Yes, the Hi-Power is definitely a pleasant 9mm shooter, much better than a double-action modern gun with a plastic frame. (Oops, I've stirred-up the Glock crowd, now! Have them wait for me in the off-topic forum.) And the Hi-Power was way ahead of its time for the high capacity magazine crowd.

: This discussion has been had before, but I still believe Indiana Jones would've carried a Colt 1911 (my personal favorite). Can't back this one up like I can with a Peters Bros. fedora or a pair of shiny new Aldens, though. But, since I like them all so much I'm now wearing nothing but the Peters Bros. hat, the Aldens, the black knee-high socks I usually wear with my sandals, and my pearl-handled Colt 1911 commercial model in a "Dirty Harry" shoulder holster.

: The secretaries are really whispering about me now. Probably just jealous. I think I'll report them to the nice policemen who just pulled up in front of our building.

: Cueball

I know from my own research that Browning wasn't totally pleased with his 1911 design, and he personally thought that the P-35 was the best semi-auto design he had ever produced, improving the 1911 design immensely. Ironically, Colt refused to accept the P-35 design, and Browning took his show to Belgium and sold his wares overseas. If Colt had played their cards right, the P-35 would be a classic Colt these days. Oh well, hind sight is always 20/20. I'm sure Indy would have carried a .45 ACP in real life myself, as foreign weapons were not that readily available in the US during the 1930's. He would have more than likely carried the Smith and the Colt, as both could fire the .45 ACP, resulting in his having to carry only one size ammunition, and he would have been familiar with both weapons from his prior WWI army experience, as both guns came out of that global conflict, and Indy would have definitly been exposed to them. (Hopefully from the grip end. (grins)) Anyway, you're right, this has been discusses, but it's always good to pull it out and blow the dust off of the discussion now and again. But then, I'm bias to the subject. (grins again!) Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]