Festers? that sounds ugly (grins).

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on August 17, 2000 at 14:59:41:

In Reply to: The tie debate festers... posted by Cueball on August 17, 2000 at 06:21:34:

: : In 1938, a man driving across Europe in a sports car with a beautiful woman wore a tie. It's not until he gets to Iskendrun that Indy is without the tie. Look at all the serials from that time. Practically everyone is wearing a tie and a fedora, unless they're in some kind of costume, like Spysmasher or Captain Marvel. Normal wear right up till the early Sixties really. Now you can get some sleep.
: : Cheers!

: : Ellison

: Yes, but a traveling gentleman usually wore a suit, too--not an "adventurer's" outfit. So why not wingtips with his costume? Alden makes plenty of those. And, of course, I'd like to have seen Indy in a pair of Sansabelt slacks but, unfortunately, they weren't available back then (Note: the Browning Hi-Power wasn't available when "Raiders" took place, either--some anachronisms are allowed). Instead of the tie, he could've sported a groovin' pukka shell choker (on a manly dude like Indy, "necklace" is not the right word--and that gas mask bag could've been a man's European carry-all, NOT a "guy purse".)

: Thank God for the seventies and manmade fibers!!! BeeGees rule!!!
: Travolta for Indiana Jones in Indy IV!!! Help, I just hurt myself...

: Cueball

Agreed on the tie discussion as men were expected to wear a tie to all "official" and public gatherings. You rarely saw a man in public with an open collar. Shoes were not a big topic, just had to be polished. Hi-Powers were indeed available in 36, as they were issued to the Belgium army a year before, and I hope to never see the 70's stuff again. I went through those times, and that stuff was not only uncomfortable, but was hotter than @#$%, if you follow my meaning. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]