Idiot savant or boozehound?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Timmy The Tulip from pool0354.cvx21-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on August 20, 2000 at 12:00:08:

In Reply to: The dual nature of Marcus Brody posted by graml on August 20, 2000 at 08:00:32:

: Morning, enfants. Call me over-protective of my museum-dwelling brethren, but I have a gripe about the character of Marcus Brody. In Raiders and most of the novels, Marcus was a competent historian and Indy's only benevolent father figure. He was able to speak off the top of his head about Biblical/Egyptian history with the Army Intel men, showing that he really knew his stuff. But in Last Crusade, he was a bumbling piece of comic relief; Jar Jar Binks with a PhD! Has Lucas (or any other of the big three) ever explained how a man could go from Stephen Jay Gould to Lou Costello in so short a time? While I admit it was kind of funny when Marcus was lost in the Middle East ("Water? No thank you, Madame. Fish make love in it!"), I don't think it tied in well with his portrayal in Raiders. Feel free to add your opinion to this topic; I know we've covered it before a few months back.
: -graml
: PS And for the record, I have also gotten lost in my own museum. It isn't as hard as you might think...
:
:
Not that I hold it against Marcus, but doesn't it seem like he might very well be partial to alcoholic beverages? I noticed a bit of a boozer's nose there... :p
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: