Re: The dual nature of Marcus Brody

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by New Jersey Hughes from h186.n-D1A278.sac.verio.net on August 20, 2000 at 12:36:46:

In Reply to: The dual nature of Marcus Brody posted by graml on August 20, 2000 at 08:00:32:

If you take a step or three back from LAST CRUSADE, and try an objective look (it's tough, I know; trying to be objective about the stuff you love isn't easy), you might see that it's the comedy of the trilogy. Just as TEMPLE OF DOOM is the darker one (compared to RAIDERS), LAST CRUSADE is the 'funny' one. It goes for the laugh whenever appropriate, even in dramatic action scenes. Yeah, we all laughed (for example) when the Arab lands on the german truck's windshield in RAIDERS, but think about how much more 'arch' the comedic timing is in LAST CRUSADE when Indy shoots through three Nazis, and reacts comically to it.

Since LAST CRUSADE was intended to have more humor in it (I seem to remember Lucas or Speilberg actually STATING that very intention in a by-gone interview, if memory serves...), then it's very easy to comically modify the once-serious & dramatic characters of Marcus Brody and Sallah into light-hearted comic relief.

You're very correct in noticing this; it's just up to your individual tastes as to whether or not you think this is a good thing or not.

Although, I like the gin-blossomed souse theory, too! If I kept sending Indiana Jones on archeoligical expeditions, but never got to keep the relic (if Indy even managed to bring it back!), well, hell; I'd probably drink a lot, too....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]