I think Fedora's theory fits best...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert from aig65386y28se.ab.hsia.telus.net on August 20, 2000 at 18:03:24:

In Reply to: The dual nature of Marcus Brody posted by graml on August 20, 2000 at 08:00:32:

: Morning, enfants. Call me over-protective of my museum-dwelling brethren, but I have a gripe about the character of Marcus Brody. In Raiders and most of the novels, Marcus was a competent historian and Indy's only benevolent father figure. He was able to speak off the top of his head about Biblical/Egyptian history with the Army Intel men, showing that he really knew his stuff. But in Last Crusade, he was a bumbling piece of comic relief; Jar Jar Binks with a PhD! Has Lucas (or any other of the big three) ever explained how a man could go from Stephen Jay Gould to Lou Costello in so short a time? While I admit it was kind of funny when Marcus was lost in the Middle East ("Water? No thank you, Madame. Fish make love in it!"), I don't think it tied in well with his portrayal in Raiders. Feel free to add your opinion to this topic; I know we've covered it before a few months back.
: -graml
: PS And for the record, I have also gotten lost in my own museum. It isn't as hard as you might think...

In Raiders and every single Indy story, Marcus is NEVER seen in the middle of the action. When he's out on the adventure, well he's just incompetent. Also, notice how in Last Crusade, Marcus was still acting like his old self before they took the plane to Venice. I once stated that exact same thing months back but nobody paid attention to it (go figure :) ).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]