I know a thing or two...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Donovan from gate.timeinc.com on August 23, 2000 at 11:18:08:

In Reply to: Digital Cameras? posted by Austin Powers on August 22, 2000 at 21:25:02:

Unfortunately with camera equipment cheaper almost always means shoddier quality. The thing you'll want to be concerned with is 'megapixels' - which indicates how high-quality or 'hi-res/hi-resolution' the pics you take can be. If you expect to make actual photo prints from the images, on photo paper, like you'd get when you have film processed at Walmart - then you'll want something decent. If you're using it just to take pics for the internet lower-res is ok.

Also with camera equipment you can put a lot of stock in company name, certain companies have a long tradition of high-quality products. FYI - FUJI makes some really nice digital cameras that have consistent quality throughout the product line. Same goes for Nikon.

One other recommendation - price the camera out on the internet or through mail order to et a good price. I'd be happy to post links to some reliable camera shops that do good mail-order.

You can get decent info on these cameras online, find out what model you saw and look for a website by the maufacturer for samples of the types of pics you can take. If I have the chance I'll get back to you with some good resources for finding out how certain cameras rate.

PS - I work in the photo dept of a national magazine and I deal with digital images as part of my work here and I also just recently got myself a digital camera - I'm no expert but I have looked into this a bit. I'd be happy to answer any questions you've got...

: I'm really thinkin' about gettin' a digital camera, but I don't know anything about 'em. I saw a pretty cheap one at WalMart for like $80, but I don't know what the quality'd be like. Does anyone have a digital camera? Would a cheap one be a piece of junk?

: Thanks
: Austin....Danger Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: