Re: Custom Hatter -- What's the real deal?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Davis from usm-0038-139.wans.net on August 05, 1998 at 20:38:31:

In Reply to: Re: Custom Hatter -- What's the real deal? posted by Bay Manning on August 05, 1998 at 19:22:10:

: Hi Mike,

: Do you know where can I get an IJ reproduction of the fedora, and how to contact the Custom Hatter?

: What does IJ stand for?

: I'm looking for an exact copy of Indiana Jones' hat, one which is really well made.

Hi Bay,

the original manufacturer is still in business, and his name is Herbert Johnson. The custom hatter also makes a very nice reproduction of the hat and I beleive that he says stunt extras used his hats (not sure on this one). "Best" is a tough question. What it boils down to is that Herbert Johnson made the original, and I just recently read a gleaming review of his customer service and the quality of his hat. On the other hand, I have heard that the Custom hatter makes a very high quality hat. I think they are both around $385.00. I know that is quite a chunk of change, personally I am leaning toward the Herbert Johnson hat as he was the original, his hat now has the original size Petersham ribbon, and it just plain gets rockin' reviews. If $385 is not what you expected, there are some lower cost alternatives on the Diggs page. Please check out the fedora section of the Indy's Diggs website:

Indy's Diggs: The Fedora

This should have all of the contact information for the hats, plus a FEW reviews of the hats. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Oh, by the way, I was just using IJ to be short for Indiana Jones, sorry if that was unclear.

Regards,
Mike

: Is the Custom Hatter hat the best one made?

: Any suggestions of reproductions of the hat which would be even better, and the way to contact the people who sell them?

: Thanks for your help,

:
: Bay Manning

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: