Re: I know a thing or two...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupU96.mpls.uswest.net on August 24, 2000 at 11:06:10:

In Reply to: I know a thing or two... posted by Donovan on August 23, 2000 at 11:18:08:

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. As I said I have no idea what to look for really. I ended up buyin' a Polaroid PDC640 at Wal-Mart for $169.99. It seemed to have good features(2MB memory card, LCD viewer, image software, multiple quality modes, "macro" focus within 1' away, TV viewing) so I decided at that price I'd take the plunge. It was relatively easy to learn to use. I opened it and had taken 20 pictures within 10 minutes. The features are very user-friendly and transferring the photos to the computer's not tough. The only thing that I am dissappointed with IS again, the quality aspect. On the LCD viewer the images to clear and crisp, and so to on the TV, but when you see them on the computer, where it matters, the quality isn't quite there. There are 4 picture quality modes on the camera. They range from low(96 pictures) to high(12 pictures). The largest the photos get are like 640x480, which is pretty decent, but even in high quality mode they don't look perfect. I guess I expected too much from so little. I was wondering why most digital cameras cost at least $500. I don't see why it costs so much to get a picture that's as clear and decent as a disposable camera. But all in all I'm happy with it. I wouldn't have spent more than $200 on one anyway, so I guess I got the best I would have.

Thanks again,
Austin....Danger Powers

: Unfortunately with camera equipment cheaper almost always means shoddier quality. The thing you'll want to be concerned with is 'megapixels' - which indicates how high-quality or 'hi-res/hi-resolution' the pics you take can be. If you expect to make actual photo prints from the images, on photo paper, like you'd get when you have film processed at Walmart - then you'll want something decent. If you're using it just to take pics for the internet lower-res is ok.

: Also with camera equipment you can put a lot of stock in company name, certain companies have a long tradition of high-quality products. FYI - FUJI makes some really nice digital cameras that have consistent quality throughout the product line. Same goes for Nikon.

: One other recommendation - price the camera out on the internet or through mail order to et a good price. I'd be happy to post links to some reliable camera shops that do good mail-order.

: You can get decent info on these cameras online, find out what model you saw and look for a website by the maufacturer for samples of the types of pics you can take. If I have the chance I'll get back to you with some good resources for finding out how certain cameras rate.

:
: PS - I work in the photo dept of a national magazine and I deal with digital images as part of my work here and I also just recently got myself a digital camera - I'm no expert but I have looked into this a bit. I'd be happy to answer any questions you've got...

:
: : I'm really thinkin' about gettin' a digital camera, but I don't know anything about 'em. I saw a pretty cheap one at WalMart for like $80, but I don't know what the quality'd be like. Does anyone have a digital camera? Would a cheap one be a piece of junk?

: : Thanks
: : Austin....Danger Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: