Good analysis.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cueball from 1Cust109.tnt1.brunswick.ga.da.uu.net on August 24, 2000 at 19:23:18:

In Reply to: Little hope for Indy IV toys IMHO posted by Micah on August 24, 2000 at 13:25:33:

I agree that there was way too much Star Wars stuff in toy stores, and there is so much left over because they WAY over estimated the market. But, and I don't have numbers to back this up, either, I bet their sales were still record-setting. Of course, I didn't buy any. Though I like the Star Wars movies okay, I'm definitely not into sci-fi ("Blade Runner" aside, but that has nothing to do with the fact that Harrison Ford was in it. I just liked the stuffed farmer-sock monkey replicant.)

Cueball

: : Also, I'm sure when Indy IV comes out that there will be a toy line for it, and based on the immense popularity of the Toys McCoy figure, I'm sure there will be an affordable ($20-$30) 12" Indy figure.

: I wish this were true, but my gut feeling is that Indy IV will not be accompanied by a blitz of Indy figures. Just look at Indy merchandising historically. When Raiders came out, they had a truly awesome set of 3 3/4" figures which looked great and covered most of the movies characters plus playsets. Then Temple of Doom had only a few characters. No Willie or Short Round. Then, Crusade had absolutely no toys. Today, it seems toy and movie stores are stuck with a glut of clearance Phantom Menace and redone Original Trilogy toys. They may not be ready to jump on Lucas's merchandising bandwagon so blindly next time around. Considering Star Wars is the clear merchandising favorite, it's lackluster sales could be a detriment to Indy's merchandising hopes. One caveat: I don't have any numbers to back up my impressions of SW toys, just anectdotal observations. I truly hope my pessimism is unfounded.

: Regardless, I feel that the Toys McCoy Raiders figure will always be the ULTIMATE Indy figure regardless of what could come later.

: --Micah

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]