Re: Stetson Ark Reaction

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on August 06, 1998 at 13:28:12:

In Reply to: Stetson Ark Reaction posted by IJFan on August 06, 1998 at 12:33:40:

: Got my Stetson yesterday. All in all it seems like a reasonable quality hat. I generally wear a size 7 hat, which is what I ordered, and it's a lot bigger than I expected. I had to cut two strips of terry cloth to put under the band in the front and the back to pad it out a little.

: The pinch is completely wrong, but with a little patience and a boiling tea kettle, I was able to reshape it to a reasonable approximation of the look we all know and love. The only real shortcoming (shape wise) is that it's tough to punch out the sides on the top enough to get the squarish look that the genuine article has. This hat seems more domed.

: The ribbon is too wide, but that can be replaced if I get around to it. If anyone out there has a yard or so of the Petersham he'd be willing to part with, I'd happily buy some from you. I know someone must've ordered 10 yards to use 1.

: Over all, considering that I treat my hats pretty roughly, I think going this route makes sense compared to the Custom Hatter approach. Get a little dust and mud on the thing and it'd be tough to tell the difference. Someday I'll probably get one of those made, but it'll have to be when I'm in upstate NY because there's no way in hell I'd pay $400 for a custom hat and not have it custom fit. Of course, a friend of mine is getting married in upstate next spring...so I may succomb sooner than later :-(

:
: -IJFan

I have experienced with all the Stetson's I have owned that after several wettings, they'll experience a very little bit of shrinkage to the felt. I'm pretty surprised as to the difference in your usual hat size to what you actually received. I have always found that Stetson was pretty much on the bubble regarding sizing. I wouldn't be surprised if yours may have been mis-marked at the factory. I have owned 3 fur felt Stetson fedoras to date, and have found them to wear very well, regardless of weather or handling. After it "sets in" to your usage, I believe you'll be quite pleased with your choise. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]