Re: Little hope for Indy IV toys IMHO

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark from 1Cust207.tnt2.kcy2.da.uu.net on August 28, 2000 at 01:42:39:

In Reply to: Little hope for Indy IV toys IMHO posted by Micah on August 24, 2000 at 13:25:33:

I think the one company that would make them regardless if there ever is an Indy4 would be McFarlane Toys. I think that if enough people ask for it, they'll make it. Have you seen their Movie Maniacs figures? The likenesses are simply incredible, and I think that if they made Indy, it would be so incredibly detailed and realistic that there would be no other comparison on the market. Plus all of their toys are reasonably priced for what you get. Indiana Jones would be right up their alley- they seem to like to make toys that everyone wants, but no other company wants to make.
Mark

: : Also, I'm sure when Indy IV comes out that there will be a toy line for it, and based on the immense popularity of the Toys McCoy figure, I'm sure there will be an affordable ($20-$30) 12" Indy figure.

: I wish this were true, but my gut feeling is that Indy IV will not be accompanied by a blitz of Indy figures. Just look at Indy merchandising historically. When Raiders came out, they had a truly awesome set of 3 3/4" figures which looked great and covered most of the movies characters plus playsets. Then Temple of Doom had only a few characters. No Willie or Short Round. Then, Crusade had absolutely no toys. Today, it seems toy and movie stores are stuck with a glut of clearance Phantom Menace and redone Original Trilogy toys. They may not be ready to jump on Lucas's merchandising bandwagon so blindly next time around. Considering Star Wars is the clear merchandising favorite, it's lackluster sales could be a detriment to Indy's merchandising hopes. One caveat: I don't have any numbers to back up my impressions of SW toys, just anectdotal observations. I truly hope my pessimism is unfounded.

: Regardless, I feel that the Toys McCoy Raiders figure will always be the ULTIMATE Indy figure regardless of what could come later.

: --Micah

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]