Re: Custom stuff, yes, but.....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on August 07, 1998 at 10:50:57:

In Reply to: Re: This is to all the Indyfans with the David Morgan Whips, Wested Jackets, authentic Indy Fedoras, etc: I salute you posted by Gary on July 30, 1998 at 12:56:36:

:
: :
: : : Yep. I salute you. You people that are dedicated enough to get the most authentic Indy merchandise, ie. Dave Morgan Indy-Cobra Whip, Wested Jackets, and Fedoras, are really, true Indyfans. I admire what you people go through to obtain Indiana Jones clothing, whips, and even the revolver, and how much care you put into them, putting a leather dressing on a whip or a jacket, or making the clothing look just the right shade of brown like most of Indy's wardrobe. I mean the Morgan Whips are $300-$500, the jackets are $500+, and so on. You people really love Indy (not me, but Harrison Ford's portrayal).

: : :
: : : Indy

: : I wonder if a collage professor that as a profession living in the 30's- 40's was never paid all that much could afford all this custom equipment. I guess that is why he was always getting honorariums from a museum.
: : Gary

You forget, all this "custom" equipment was standard stuff and could be purchased off the shelf just about anywhere for very little money in the 30's and 40's. It's custom for us because the days of quality and integrety in the purduction of materials for purchase has been replaced with "planned obsolescence" by manufacturers. Therefore you have to pay an arm and a leg now adays for something that will last beyond 1 or 2 years. The most expensive stuff is made with the old time quality construction. The 1950's ushered in the "planned obsolescense" practice, and I think it's once the worse policies that we, as consumers, have ever accepted. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]