Re: FAO Patterson - regarding the new jacket and your PB hat.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.91 on August 31, 2000 at 14:25:35:

In Reply to: FAO Patterson - regarding the new jacket and your PB hat. posted by Satipo on August 31, 2000 at 03:57:06:

: May I just congratulate your considerable efforts and say that the jacket looks to be a fantastic replica. However, I would be extremely interested to see how it looks when it is being worn by someone, i.e. does it hold its 'square' shape well?

: As ever, I just have a few questions I would be grateful if you could answer:-

: 1)Aren't the side straps a little too short?

: 2)Are the rectangular rings really as thin as that on the original jacket, as they look a little too delicate to me?

: 3)The zip looks like it is brass coloured - shouldn't it be nickel?

: 4)The leather looks to be too light a chocolately brown - shouldn't it be dark brown, almost black?

: 5)And finally, regarding the picture of your hat on the PB website - shouldn't the ribbon be wider and the sides of the brim turned up a little. Also, does the brim have a dimensional cut to it?

: Many thanks again for your efforts and time,

: Satipo

: P.S. Although perhaps a bit immoral, if you were to send this prototype jacket to Wested, surely they would then make their jackets in exactly the same way. Then we would have the perfect article in terms of it being accurate and from the original manufacturer!

Thanks for the kind words! I am, however, just one of the people who have worked on this jacket - Dr. Brody and Michaelson have been in the trenches with me, and Dr. Brody has been the one making all the visits to the manufacturer.

Anyway, on the points you raise:

1.) The straps on the jacket I examined were as long, and were configured exactly as you see. They are not long enough to tuck back into the pockets, as the original's were not. That was why they were doubled-back. Thank you DeWayne for helping to open my eyes to the correct configuration.

2.) Yes, they were exactly as you see. The only difference is that the originals were brass painted black. We went with a stronger black anodized steel that will hold-up better.

3.) The zipper on the original was actually aluminum. It still had the brass paint on part of it, so we just went for the brass, as it is more durable and reliable then the nickel, by all accounts from the zipper people I've talked too.

4.) The color on the skin - yes, the flash did wash it out. It is very comparable in darkness to the Wested lamb, but with less red in it.

5.) The ribbon may look a bit narrow because of the 6 inch crown? Anyway, I'm pleases with it. Yes, I worked last night on curling the sides a bit just by holding it, and it is begining to get that slight roll up on the sides. The brim is dimensionally cut - the particular angles Joe chose were unfortunate? They did cause me some concern that I might need to do some mods, but when I pulled it out of the box, it was dead-on what I had asked for. I'll try and get some pics of it sitting next to a Bushman and a Drover - pretty dramatic comparisons.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: