Re: Ford's age vs. reprising the role

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from 24.116.27.237 on September 03, 2000 at 20:16:07:

In Reply to: Ford's age vs. reprising the role posted by Indy 4: Death of a legend? on September 02, 2000 at 03:15:06:

: Everyone has been anticipating a fourth Indiana Jones film since 1989, but with the new series of Star Wars films in progress it seems unlikely that we will see one in the near future. The biggest problem with this, aside from the wait? The fact that Harrison Ford is already 58 years old. As a rule of continuity the films are set closely together, chronologically speaking, and Harrison's age seems to be an insurmountable obstacle. I've heard speculation that the film, if made, would take place many years later and focus on an aging Indy. Unfortunately, the world changed dramatically following WWII, making the 30's a kind of "last chance" for this type of adventure to take place. Before I continue let me say this, because I'm sure I'll se a lot of angry posts regarding what I'm about to say. I have a fan for twenty years, since the release of t first film. It was the first thing in my life that really "grabbed" me, the way that cars and sports do for some people. I'm an artist, writer, sculptor and too many other creative personas to drone on about and Indiana Jones is responsible for every last one of them. As a child my passion for recreating the scenes in the film forced me to bulid my own playsets. It inspired me to write my own fan fiction. wanting to create my own Indy comic books,it inspired me to take art seriously. All of these things I have spent my whole life in love with. I've written a science fiction novel be ing considered for publication, spun it into a comic series and with my skill for crafting dolls, I've begun a digitally rendered "live action" comic/film story board as well. The inital spark that is Indiana Jones changed my life and shaped who I am. So, you see, I'm much more than some one who's seen the films a few times and collected all the gear to place in my closet. Long way to go to make a point, I know and I hope I haven't lost you yet. I think it's time that we replaced Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. There, I said it. Sometimes it's hard to let go but sometimes for the sake of a great story it has to be done. Fictional characters have the power to live forever. Unfortunately, human beings do not. Everyone reading this, everyone who has taken the time to contribute to this and all the other sites out there and everyone who has spent a lot of time and money (myself included) rounding up the gear obviously has a special place in their hearts for the character. Should all of that really go to waste and be lost for future generations of fans? When dealing in fantasy one must learn to suspend reality and disbelief. That's the whole point. It's not as radical as it sounds. People have already accepted others in the role of Indiana Jones. Though Sean Patrick Flannery and River Phoniex prtrayed the character at a younger age people still embraced it because it was still INDIANA JONES. Let's face it; we haven't spent twenty years collecting HARRISON FORD toys and memorabilia or fawning over HARRISON FORD gear. Harrison was the first to breathe life into the greatest action hero of our generation (hell, ANY generation) and he'll always be the best, but, for the sake of the character he can't be the last. Sean Connery was the best Bond, but his absence from the role did not kill the character. Bond was one of the primary influences for Indy. For the sake of character continuity the influence should not stop at the obvious. There is so much left to be said and so much left to tell; things that can not be explored, and yet must be, with Harrison Ford. Heck, to do it right they may need to replace Harrison several times. What happened between Indy and his Father, in detail? How did Henry sr. meet Marcus Brody and why was he such an influence on Indy's life? How did Indy meet Abner and what really happened with him and Marion? How and when did he meet Belloq and what of their past encounters? I know that Marvel (comics) skated around a few of these points, but then Marvel, in my opinion, has never been known for writing beyond a semi-literate level. The "Chronicles" also does the ocassional dance around the big picture, but personally I think the whole series is a waste. Rather than dealing with the past that three perfectly good films have already provided (in other words, the films have all but spelled it out for them and they STILL can't get it right)they chose to cross Indy briefly, and often in an arkane, humorous way, with every historical figure from the Red Baron to Dracula (!??!!). Basically, they've managed to turn the greatest hero ever into Forrest Gump. Now that I have most of you foaming at the mouth and preparing those nasty e-mails that I'm sure to receive I'm sure you'd like to know who I've chosen to carry out my plan of unspeakable blaspehmy. After a LOT of consideration I've found only one man worthy of filling the role of Indiana Jones; Ralph Fiennes. Many of you may remember him as Amon Groet from "Schindler's List" (a Spielberg prject, may I remind you). He also played the lead role of 'Lenny' in James Cameron's "Strange Days". The best film to view for reference as to how he would suit Indy is "The English Patient". He has the right look; he's wonderfully expressive, very capable of the 'dead serious' to 'quirky and uncertain'range of emotion needed to pull off Indy. The first two films that I mentioned are not good referece points for how he would fit the general look of the character. For this you must see "The English Patient". On second thought, don't bother; it's a long-winded and poorly written film. Just take a look at the box next time you're at Blockbuster, there's an excellent picture of him on the back. As you look at it, imagine the opening scene in "Raiders" when Indy emerges from the shadows for the first time. Well, that's all I have to say for now. Good or bad, I really want to know what others think.

Looks like this franchise has had a very positive effect in regards to your life! That being stated, I must confess that in my opinion I hope Ford does one or two more and then the story comes to an end-just like real life. Not that I want him to die in the final installment, but rather, ride off into the sunset once again, and live to be a very old man, reminiscing on his great adventures. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]