Re: Process

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MK from adsl-63-194-18-73.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on September 04, 2000 at 19:11:51:

In Reply to: Re: Aging your Wested posted by ...whiskey? on September 04, 2000 at 17:41:49:

: Hmmm... i must've missed that post....fantastic job on the jacket though. I know you've probably already posted this info, but i'd love to hear more about this method

I should have put that on the page. I learned this method from the wardrobe people on "Band of Brothers" a new WWII mini-series by Spielberg and Hanks. They were aging leather jackets, boots and what not by putting a little acetone on a paper towel then rubbing off some of the color. Because it is wet, it will make the spot to appear darker at first. It can be very deceiving. It is best to work on a area about 4-5 inches then move to a new area while the previous dries. Wear rubber dish washing gloves so you do not get the dye and acetone on your hands. Make sure there is nothing in the pockets. Also a flat surface with no texture should be used. An ironing board would be ideal. DO NOT GET IT TOO WET! Be conservative, especially if you have a nylon lining. The acetone will melt the nylon if it soakes through. After you have happy with the color use sand paper to highlight the seems and edges. It is best that you finish all the acetone work before starting the sanding process because the raw leather will absorb the color and will never have that light color regardless of how much you sand. A word regarding acetone: It is a very flamable solvent. use in a well ventilated area. A fan blowing the fumes away from you is advised. Obviously avoid flame or sparks. You can get both items at most hardware or paint stores.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]