Re: Got my new Wested today...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 29yr.old Indy from A010-1394.LAUR.splitrock.net on September 07, 2000 at 22:54:57:

In Reply to: Got my new Wested today... posted by Cueball on September 07, 2000 at 21:02:25:

: Well, I first e-mailed Peter Botwright on July 26, and he comfirmed for me on August 3rd that he still had my measurements from the new-finish lambskin "Raiders" I bought almost a year ago (and which I love). He charged my card that day for a total of 165 pounds including shipping. I received the jacket today at around the five week mark without paying any further costs--like customs charges. Strange, but who's complaining?

: This time I ordered a distressed cowhide "Last Crusade" with leather collar and zipper facings. I looked it over closely and I'm not sure yet what to think. There were no snaps on the storm flap, but I doubt I'd want them anyway. The overall color was very light and the distressing was very...uniform. It looks like a jacket that's been put in a dryer with a bunch of small rocks. Every square inch looks the same. (Love that smell, though.) It doesn't look like it's been worn a lot; at first glance it looks sort of like the cheap "distressed" semi-suede jackets that were so ubiquitous at shopping malls not too many years back.

: NOTE: I was very impressed with the results of the guy who posted below his distressing efforts on a new lambskin (www.makeupmag.com). The "wear" on the seams of his jacket really make the whole thing look naturally "worn". I just don't have the guts to rub acetone on good leather that I plan to keep for some time. It's not too important to Hollywood what happens to a jacket after a movie's been made, but I hope it works out for our friend. I may try it someday.

: So, anyway, I took my new "Crusade" home and went over it with Pecards, which took an hour and made a difference. It restored a lot of the color and it's starting to look like it should, though it's still...uniform. I'll check it tomorrow and maybe put on another coat of Pecards (this jacket looks thirsty). I may end up distressing the seams a little myself. Any suggestions?

: The cowhide is definitely heavier than the lambskin and, though I again ordered a 46, it fits snugger in the chest and shoulders (and I haven't been working out). I don't know what it is about English clothing but I always have to order a size up; even with Noel Howard's pants and shirts I had to get larger sizes.

: Anyway, after seeing the price of the new fan jacket, I think I'll stay with Wested. I may get a fan jacket somewhere down the road, but for now the price puts it out of the I'll-buy-it-as-a-goof category. But I don't want to sound ungrateful to Patterson and Brody and Michaelson for their efforts on our behalf. Thanks.

: Now, does anybody want to hear a sock monkey story?

: Cueball

Hey Cueball, wassup?!! Your jacket's appearance sounds the same as my TOD Wested did when it came a couple of weeks ago. Mine was also pre-distressed cowhide. I now have 2 coats of Pecards on it and it looks pretty good. Alot better than it did anyway! I've also wondered about distressing the seams a little myself because the leather looks the same all over. But, as Sallah said to Indy at the Well Of Souls, "....You go first!" If you do, let me know how it turns out. Take care.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]