Good points...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cueball from tias-gw1.treas.gov on September 08, 2000 at 11:11:09:

In Reply to: Re: I dont think you guys are going to sell many of these things... posted by Ken on September 08, 2000 at 07:44:25:

I hate to be a "me too" as much as I hate to argue (yes, I do!), but these are very valid points. When I first heard of the Toys McCoy Indy figure, I almost laughed at the $300+ price, but I later bought one for a little more than that and I'm glad I did. I also thought the Noel Howard shirts and pants were too high (even the Off-the-peg versions) but I eventually bought two of each. When you think about it, $428 for a great leather jacket, which this apparently will be, isn't that high compared to others. Except the Wested. We've been spoiled by the way low price of the arguably original Indy jacket. Compare the prices of fine leather jackets in the upscale retail stores. Personally, the wait for a Wested doesn't bother me at all--I just waited five weeks for the one that arrived yesterday. I believe the sticker shock on the new jacket will fade, though I still can't bring myself to plunk down almost $600 for a David Morgan whip (at least I'd wear the jacket). I'll just have to stay satisfied with a sock monkey hanging from my gear belt for a while longer.

Cueball

: I think they will sell more than you think. I have seen this happen iin the other forum I am a member of. People will get over the sticker shock as soon as someone gets one of the jackets and starts to talk ablut how nice it is. The nice thing is that there are now 2 jackets which are very much like the original. People have a wider selection and I am sure once people start receiving the other jacket the debate of authenticity will begin. I suspect many of the first orders for the new jacket will be from people who already have the Westeds jacket. I fit in this category. I have 3 A-2 jackets and now will have 2 Raiders jackets. My wife thinks I am nuts because I can only wear one at a time but she has a closet full of shoes so she can't yell too much. The new jackets are made from quality hides and materials and to some people this makes a difference. I buy my dress shoes from Alden. They are very expensive but they last 5 times longer than my Bass shoes that I used to buy. Bottom line is that new manufacturers such as Peter Bros and Flight Suits are willing to make the effort to keep us happy and listen to our wants and needs. $428 for the jacket and $175 for the hat is only $53 more than the Custom Hatters and Wested combo. I am sure both are a whole lot less than Spielberg paid for the originals when he made the movies.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]