Re: Pecards, Westeds, leather, guns and other manly stuff (sorry, no sock monkeys)...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on September 08, 2000 at 12:36:56:

In Reply to: Pecards, Westeds, leather, guns and other manly stuff (sorry, no sock monkeys)... posted by Cueball on September 08, 2000 at 10:53:55:

Glad to have been a part of it. To answer your questions, no the cowhide doesn't seem to stretch like the lambskin, though like all leather it will eventually form itself to your shape, just not as fast. As to the use of Pecards, yes to both questions. When you distress the jacket, you actually "crack" the natural hide covering and allow the underlying fibers to be exposed to the air. This is what give it the light/dark appearance. It is now much more susceptable to water and sun damage. It ain't called "distressed" for nothing! The Pecards replaces the lost moisture that occurred when it went through the process, and water proofs the exposed fiber and surface. To be blunt, what you're actually doing is attempting to repair what you specifically requested to be done. The coloring you're seeing is the moisture returning to the jacket, returning it to the healther "glow" it originally had, but won't ever completely reach due to the surface cracking. I always recommend ordering non-distressed leather, as you'll reach this level with normal use, but to each his own. Good deal on the Smith acquisition. They're getting harder and harder to find. Hope you are able to get your fan jacket in the near future. Regards. Michaelson

: Is that to keep the color right AND to maintain the "health" of the hide, ir is it one or the other (or something I'm missing)? My lambskin "Raiders" is low maintenance by comparison.
: Also, will the cowhide stretch a little (it's just a little too tight in the chest and shoulders)? I don't remember if the lambskin was tight when new, or maybe it stretched from wearing it so much.
: Also, I plan to get a fan jacket one of these days, but I'm tapped out for the moment. (Just found a Smith & Wesson HE2 in .455)
: Anyway, thanks for the response and your efforts on behalf of the new fan jacket. I hope you guys don't feel unappreciated that the price is higher than expected, therefore the interest might not be as keen as it could've been. It may take some time to build up the interest level (and bank accounts).

: Cueball

: : You'll find that once your jacket finally "stabalizes" (sp?) with the dressing application, you'll have to do it every 3 months or so, depending on where you live, humidity, heat, etc. It's a never ending project. I know I do mine. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]