Great stuff...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cueball from 1Cust2.tnt1.brunswick.ga.da.uu.net on September 08, 2000 at 13:43:53:

In Reply to: Re: Pecards, Westeds, leather, guns and other manly stuff (sorry, no sock monkeys)... posted by Michaelson on September 08, 2000 at 12:36:56:

I appreciate the input, which you've probably posted a million times before.

The procedure you recommend below isn't much different than what I have to do to my wife every so often because of all the years she spent out in the sun. I can do them both at once and save time!Though, if I'm going to start putting Pecards on her, I'll have to get a MUCH larger tub of it.

Cueball

: Glad to have been a part of it. To answer your questions, no the cowhide doesn't seem to stretch like the lambskin, though like all leather it will eventually form itself to your shape, just not as fast. As to the use of Pecards, yes to both questions. When you distress the jacket, you actually "crack" the natural hide covering and allow the underlying fibers to be exposed to the air. This is what give it the light/dark appearance. It is now much more susceptable to water and sun damage. It ain't called "distressed" for nothing! The Pecards replaces the lost moisture that occurred when it went through the process, and water proofs the exposed fiber and surface. To be blunt, what you're actually doing is attempting to repair what you specifically requested to be done. The coloring you're seeing is the moisture returning to the jacket, returning it to the healther "glow" it originally had, but won't ever completely reach due to the surface cracking. I always recommend ordering non-distressed leather, as you'll reach this level with normal use, but to each his own. Good deal on the Smith acquisition. They're getting harder and harder to find. Hope you are able to get your fan jacket in the near future. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]