Re: Some thoughts on the new jacket...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Valdez from cx540447-b.cv1.sdca.home.com on September 09, 2000 at 01:05:04:

In Reply to: Some thoughts on the new jacket... posted by Nathan Harbaugh on September 09, 2000 at 00:52:07:

I could imagine friends getting a little concerned when you tell them you want some samurai swords, but an Indy jacket is not just a useless fan item, in fact it's one of the most practical items you could possibly get as a fan. It's definitely worth a few hundred. I say go for it, and I'm not just speaking as a fan myself, but I don't see anything wrong or odd with it at all.

-Indy V

: About two years ago, I was obsessed with Star Wars, which gave way to an obsession with Kurosawa films, which gave way to a major obsession with samurai swords. I began drawing them on everything I could find, combing the net for any and all information I could find on them. How they were made, where and when they where made, how they were carried in ancient Japan, even the best types of laquers used on the saya, (scabbards). To say the least, I had a one track mind.

: Eventually I decided to buy one. After considering a few different models in the 2 to $300 range, I came to find out through message boards like this one, (mostly swordforum.com), that they werent worth the cardboard they were shipped in. The shoddy manufacturing could actually make their use quite dangerous. So I moved on to a new set of models in the 8 to $900 range. But, the more I learned about the forging process used by the skilled smiths of Japan, the more determined I became to find a sword that resembled, in some form, one of these deadly works of art. After some time, I found a smith in Canada who produced swords of excellent quality and craftsmanship. Hammered and polished, (sharpened), by hand, his swords were what I had been looking for. I didnt think twice about sending him the $1540 it cost. (That may sound like a lot, but a custom made sword from a licensed smith in Japan can currently run you upwards of $20,000 =-)

: Unfortunately, the sword was seriously damaged by Canadian customs inspectors, and I had my money promptly refunded. Apparently, a swords shipping container to closely resembles that of a rifles. He kindly offered to replace my custom sword with one already made, but I would accept no substitutes.

: Everyone I knew said I was INSANE for buying something I could only mount on the wall and look at, but I knew what I wanted.

: I now find myself in almost the same situation. I've scoured the net looking for the best Indy gear to fit my budget, and now I've found the jacket, and I want it. (And a jacket, unlike a sword, you can actually wear in public!)

: So far, everyone I've told about it has said I'm nuts, so I must be making the right choice. The feeling of satisfaction I will get wearing it, knowing that I'm wearing a tangible memory from my childhood, not to mention a piece of Americana, will be overpowering. Isnt that worth a few hundred bucks? I sure think so.

: Thanks for listening, Nathan H.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]