The Evolution of IndyFont...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aaron from usr4-modem145.runestone.net on September 10, 2000 at 01:26:31:

In Reply to: The Real Indy Font posted by Indiana Slick on September 09, 2000 at 23:24:34:

First of all, I would assume that the font was created by Drew Struzan when he did the Raiders posters. I say that it was he because the font is never seen in the movie itself.

Of interest, I thought, was the below picture [courtesy of a completed eBay auction] of a Temple of Doom crew jacket. As you can see, the "I" on "Indiana" has no sarif [is that one "F" or two?], but I do not believe that this was a mistake, to be honest. Since the letter "I" in "Raiders" was used this way for the first film, it seems that Drew initially thought he should stick to that format. After all, both "R's" in "Raiders" were identical, right? Because of this, early promo materials [and of course, crew jackets] displayed this different format.

However, as you can see, this original "I" seems a lot wimpier when it is used to begin a word in the font. Therefore, Drew modified the font so that the first letter of each word is made bolder by adding sarifs [again, how many "F's"?] to it.

Just a little advice if you ever consider duplicating the Indy font.

Aaron feels like the Information King with all of his recent posts.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]