Re: This new Indy jacket looks awesome, but the Wested is still the bargain of the century

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DeWayne from 209-142-19-47.stk.inreach.net on September 10, 2000 at 07:54:57:

In Reply to: This new Indy jacket looks awesome, but the Wested is still the bargain of the century posted by Fedora on September 10, 2000 at 01:38:34:

: No doubt about it, this new jacket is probably a much higher quality jacket than the Wested, and apparently much more accurate in detail. The price of this new jacket, while high, is in line with other fine leather wear. The old saw, that you get what you pay for, is applicable here. I own a Raiders Wested, and I am well pleased with it. My only complaint is that where the straps on the sides are sewn on, is pulling loose. The stitches have pulled completely through the lambskin. My A-2 is reinforced at points like these, where stress would cause such an occurence. I got a feeling that this new jacket will be better engineered, but time will tell. The Wested has a lot going for it, like the price, and of course the original folks make them. This is worth the price of admission in my mind. And to the untrained eye, this is the jacket Indy wore. But to a trained eye, the Wested is lacking in features that are important to some fans who insist on as much accuracy as possible. I am in that group. I am afraid I will fork over the money, but only after we get several reports from owners. Heck, I even told Joe jr. to practice on a few other customers fedoras before he tackled the dimensional cut brim on mine! And hell no, I am not anal retentive. I hate that Freudian term, almost as much as I hate his pseudo science! In my work, the attention to detail is what keeps my customers coming back. It is my livlihood, and it extends into everything that I own. There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship! Everything that I create, I strive for perfection, and I expect no less from anyone else. Especially when they are trying to sell it to me. Now with the exception of the previously mentioned flaw in my Wested, the workmanship and quality is there, for the price. And I love the way it smells. In my opinion, leather should have a smell that identifies it as leather rather than some sort of petroleum based material. This idea about this leather being inferior due to a quick tanning process, is ludicrous. Some of the finest leather in the world smell to high heaven, when new. Regards, Fedora

Agreed, I too love the leather of my Wested. I still get compliments on it all the time, despite the two years of rugged abuse! Looks like now I'll just have to tell those people. "Thanks, but I just found out it is actually crap!" ;-p

See ya's Hosers!
DeWayne,Ya

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: