Distressing your jacket quickly and safely.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Prescott from proxy15.ykt.prodigy.net on September 10, 2000 at 15:24:43:

Here’s what you’ll need:
1. Some sort of zip tool - Black and Decker, Rotozip etc.
2. Several natural sponges - how much depends on how much distressing you want to do.
3. Nylon ties.
4. One zip bit. Pick the one that will best hold the sponges.

Using one of the wire brush bits as a base, wrap the sponge over the bit and attach and around the bit shaft. Affix with a nylon tie.
Now for the important part. Using a piece of scrap leather ( old shoes, purse, etc.) practice using different speeds and pressures to get the look just right. Be careful not to press to hard or for very long as this will burn the leather.
This distressing technique has several advantages such as.
1. It’s fast. You can achieve the results you want in a night.
2. It’s safe. No chemicals to break down the leather once your done.
3. You can go at your own pace. You can be as aggressing or as cautious as you want.
4. You can start out light and come back to it later for more distressing to get the look you want
5. It’s cheap. Buy or borrow the zip tool and purchase a few sponges.

I am personally going to allow my jacket to distress naturally. This is just my idea to accomplish what several owners seem to want and to do it fast. Remember to practice first, it’s not hard and you can be quite creative. When you get around to the jacket, start under the arm out of view. This way you can get everything just right with your particular jacket leather. Anyway, let me know what you think.

W. Prescott

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]