Seems like I read this same message before. Deju vu? (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-77.col.cableone.net on September 12, 2000 at 22:24:59:

In Reply to: Personal review of Peterbros hat for those who want THE "Raiders of the Lost Ark" fedora... posted by Hector aka CEO Virtucon Enterprises on September 11, 2000 at 23:10:08:

: This thing is TOTALLY FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
: It took two days to arrive but about 2 weeks all together. I E-mailed Joe after one week with a nice inquiry into "Why is it taking so long?" but explained my natural inability to be patient. Also, he convinced me that my life long search for that "Raiders" fedora was over so I was naturally excited! He replyed with a nice E-mail about being on vacation at the time so I was forgiving..this time! :-) First of all, the sizing was perfect. Joe nailed it considering that my head never quite took to fedoras well.
: The front pinch needed to be a tad bit tighter and the sides curled up just a bit more. That and dropping the back of the crown a half a centimeter was all the modifications I needed to adjust. It looks fabulous! I ordered one that would have a 6 inch crown in the open state.
: My crown measurements are 5 full inches in the front. The sides are 5 1/2 inches high. The back is 4 1/4. the center dent is deep as are the swells in the side. The crown is completely non-tapering making a BIG difference in my opinion.
: The ribbon is 1 1/2 inches. I had mine done in black as I feel it resembles a fedora more than just a safari hat or cowboy hat and down here in Texas its hard to wear a felt hat and not be thought of as trying to look like a cowboy. It actually looks great on the hat and really gives it that 1930`s flair.
: The brim is 2 3/4 all the way around. While I believe that the fedora in the later films had a dimensional cut, I can`t be convinced that the "Raiders" hat did. Or at least some of them that were worn in certain scenes. i realize this may not be 'authentic' to some of our die-hards but we are trying to find a hat that WE OURSELVES like and want, not everyone else so please bear with me. Each to his own,huh? The front is roled down and the back is lightly flanged creating that much-sought after lite-curl.
: The brim is shaped EXACTLY like the scene where Indy is gathering sand outside the Peruvian Temple. TO THE LETTER! I can`t emphasize how great a job Joe did on copying the look I wanted. The crown looks like the hat did during Indy`s meeting with Marion in the Himilayan Tavern. EXACTLY!
: The inside liner is red which I will keep as I love this hat so much I could never part with it even for the little while it takes to put the new white liner in. The inside leather is pink like the David morgan bullwhip brand new.
: The hat was not as stiff as I thought it would be. I guess everyone was use to the velvety Indiana Miller. The hat wasn`t any stiffer than my Akubra Bushman or Akubra Squatter. And it shaped instantly with alittle spray bottle when I curled the brim a little and pinched the front more.
: This hat is it! If you want an 'Indiana Jones' hat get the Herbert Johnson but if you SPECIFICALLY want the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" hat this is the way to go. I had heard a story some time back that some one had stolen Harrison Ford`s "Raiders" fedora from his ranch. I accuse Joe Jr. of the crime as he has given me THE 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' fedora-Thanks Joe.
: And a great big thank you to everyone at Indygear and beyond who`s research and detective work led us to this amazing hat maker who specifically wants to please us. Great work guys and girls. You gave the fedora I`ve been searching for since I was 12 years old. The 30 year old NOW RETIRED-hat-hunter, Hector

:
: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: p.s. it arrived in a big white box similar to the crate the Indiana Miller is sent in but I destroyed it trying to frantically get my finished product in my hand.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]