The lambhide is not lamb - it's cowhide...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.91 on September 14, 2000 at 17:19:57:

In Reply to: Thx, another point for the Wested........ posted by Michigan Smith on September 13, 2000 at 19:27:13:

: As far as I'm concerned.The folks at Wested have a bad habit of calling the predistressed leather they use "lambhide". There is no such thing. It is lamb-touch cowhide - a cowhide material with a soft lamb finish that makes it look like lamb. It is cow, and weighs about twice as much as lambskin.

I've held the FS jacket next to the Wested lambskin - they weigh approximately the same.

I have that version of the Wested in the LC model - it is my favorite Wested, and the only one I have not sold or traded.

The only thing I've had to do was have the jacket re-stitched. You see, the thread began disintegrating after 6-8 months. I have a friend in the saddlery business, who replaced the stitching for me. He commented on the much-touted "Wested smell" - apparently good quality leather does not have that strong a smell to it, if any at all. His guess was that if the jacket were made in the US, the leather probably came out of Mexico. I told him it was made in the UK, to which he said it came from Pakistan, then. You see, the chemicals they use in tanning the leather were still at work, hence the smell. That is what caused the thread to break down.

I talked to this friend recently, and he suggested steaming the jacket to help stop the chemical reactions, and save the re-stitching he had done. I put it in the steam room at my gym for about 30 minutes, and the smell has gone down quite a bit. It is still one of my favorites, and I will not part willingly with it.

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]