Re: What made YOU an Indy fan?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sandbagger1 from ws810fdd.gsfc.nasa.gov on August 13, 1998 at 05:29:51:

In Reply to: What made YOU an Indy fan? posted by Tommy K on August 12, 1998 at 20:49:51:

: Duh, we're all here because of our undying fondness for Indiana Jones. But what attracted us to him? I didn't watch Raiders until a few years ago, and I was blown away by it. I thought, the other films must be good, so I'll get those. Ever since, I've been an Indy and a Harrison Ford nut. What caught your eye? The music? A scene? You just like Ford? What? Tell us.

Well, as someone who in fact DID grow up with them (I am now 34, and saw "Raiders" at age 17), I have loved the character since
the first time I saw "Raiders." I have always been a fan of the 1930's-1940's, WWII, the films and music of the era, the pulp heroes,
and things like that. And a fan of adventure movies. I like action films (Jackie Chan, Arnold, etc.), but "Raiders" is an adventure!
The difference is that an adventure uses the action to help advance a story (either plot or character development), whereas an action
film just uses thin plot to move the hero from one action scene to another. "Raiders" and "Crusade" are adventures, "Temple" is an
action film...but I digress.

I always admired Indy for his pragmatism, his normal-ness (he hurts when punched, and the look on is face when the wing mechanic beckons
him to fight...), the fact he is a bit self-serving like all of us, but most of all for his tenacity. He never quits, no matter how tired
or beaten he is, he picks himself up and gives it a shot. And even after all he has been through, he just needs a brief nap to get his
energy back for Marian while on-board Kananga's ship. He is a good guy, but not squeaky-clean. He is educated and sophisticated, but
still seduces college students. I like almost everything about him, even the less-than-admirable traits...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]