What Makes You Think Indy's Prominent?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by New Jersey Hughes from h186.n-D1A278.sac.verio.net on September 18, 2000 at 11:41:28:

In Reply to: OK, one more trivial observation, and then I'm going to bed.... posted by Roses4jezabel@aol.com on September 18, 2000 at 05:32:30:

I mean this very humorously and facetiously, but what leads you to believe that Indy's so prominent at Marshall/Barnett/whatever University? Because he's had three movies made about him? Just because WE know he's cool, it doesn't mean everyone in HIS fictional world thinks the same thing, if you think about it a moment...

I mean, for example- would Indy actually be considered a successful archeologist, by his his peers? What are the five main artifacts Indy has hunted in his three films? The golden fertility idol of the Chachapoyan warriors, the Ark of the Covenant, the Sankara stones, the Cross of Coronado, and the Holy Grail, right? How many of these ended up in a museum, hmmm? One. Just one. The Cross of Coronado. As far as the flicks are concerned, Indy's just 1 for 5. He's batting .200.

Hey, I'd stick an archeologist with that kinda track record in a boiler room, wouldn't you?

And let's not postulate about just how much class-time Indy must blow off for his adventures! Can you imagine the phone call to the Chancellor of the University? "Bob? Indy. Listen- I'm trapped in a secret tomb under the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, I've got a scorpion in my shorts, and a couple'a 4000-year-old Sumerian mummies chewing me a new asshole. I may have to miss commencement." Think that guy'd get a corner office, with a window?

I noticed Indy in the boiler room from day one, and I gotta say I've always loved it. I think it's great that the only respect Indy gets is from us, the audience. It totally fits into Indy's unique brand of 'Heroism, With a Pronounced Limp'.

Like I said, just having fun.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]