Stay with Short Round

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Jones from dialup-36.vegas.net on August 15, 1998 at 12:13:28:

In Reply to: Re: Should Indy have an apprentice? posted by Steve McCrary on August 15, 1998 at 11:18:02:

:
: : : In Indy IV, we talk about many of the former costars making a return. Should we bring back the original Short Round? Or give Indy another apprentice to follow in his footsteps (Indy a father?)? A student from his school? Although, this might seem to some that Indy needs all the help he can get and more, which would make him look less heroic. On the other hand, this could be a breakthrough for the actor playing the understudy. Whaddya say?

: : I think that Jonathon Ke Quan (formerly known as Ke Huy Quan) should return as Short Round. Sure he'll be older (he's 27 now), but he could still make a great side-kick for Indy. After all, Wu Han told Indy just before he died, "I followed you on many adventures". Short Round could work as his assistant, following Indy along on his quests just as the three of them had done before between 1933-34. That's what I'd like to see, at least. Short Round's presence would help to add some continuity to TEMPLE OF DOOM and the other films in the series. Right now, it kind of stands by itself.

: : Aragorn

: Short Round sounds neat, but if they tried doing an apprentice or a student following Indy around, too many critics would say that they were copying Shorty, including me!

I agree with Steve. It would be better to bring back the original Short Round than to bring in some one new and have them just act like them. And it would further show that Indy is a regular human being that ages like the rest of us, having his sidekick, who was a kid when we last saw him, by his side all grown up this time.
But the thing that would have to change is the way we see Shorty. Before, he was a kid that followed where Indy went and took orders from him (even cheated at poker a bit). If they brought him back now, he'd be old enough to make his own decisions and go against the boss once in a while. That's my opinion, what's yours?

Indy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]