Re: Correct College

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by New Jersey Hughes from h186.n-D1A278.sac.verio.net on September 21, 2000 at 18:22:05:

In Reply to: Correct College posted by Nash on September 20, 2000 at 12:10:59:

: In Raiders it was - Marshall College, Conn.(in script and novel)
: In Crisade it was - Barnett College...

: ..and so on...

Not to be a noodge, but the same location was used for Indy's classroom in both RAIDERS and LAST CRUSADE, implying the same location. I think the Marshall/Barnett issue is a simple matter of a minor continuity error (ie, it was named Marshall in RAIDERS, and Barnett in LC, but it's always been the same place). By Lucas' own admisson, the novels aren't canon; for example, in the RAIDERS novelisation, after being informed by Marcus that Army Intelligence is there to see him, he makes a remark about having 'already served'. I infer from the context that he's referring to service in the US military. This was written almost a decade before Young Indy was concocted, so we can pretty much assume he's not referring to his service in the Belgian army (and why would he, when talking about the US Army?).

If it's in the novels, scripts, whatever, it's OK, as long as it doesn't contradict what's onscreen. The movies are the final word on matters of continuity, according to the co-creator himself. According to the prop envelope in LC, we know that Indy is at Barnett College (I know we don't see it onscreen, but the Archive book affords us a closer look). Since the classroom he teaches in is the same one, we have to assume that the one in RAIDERS is Barnett as well, and that the name was changed along the way. Marshall college is never mentioned in any form in any of the films (just in outside material), so it's kinda hard to sort all this out. God, I feel like a goober for quibbling. I can see now why Congress can't get anything done. Don't mind me... ;-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]