Huge Heads Unite!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.91 on September 22, 2000 at 12:08:14:

In Reply to: Important PB news, if you have a huge mellon like I do... posted by Roses4jezabel@aol.com on September 22, 2000 at 04:03:18:

: I just heard from Joe jr. regarding the completion/shipment of my fedora. I have a huge head. I forget the size he quoted, but my head is 24" around. I ordered the hat as follows:
: Brim: 2 3/4" front and back, 2 1/2" sides
: Crown: 5 3/8" from base to top of pinch, 6" over all.
: Most of you are probably thinking this way to tall, as did Joe initially. He wrote me back several times, saying "Are you sure? That's awfully tall". As the dimensions were taken from a 554 model that I modified to meet these specs, I was positive. When he wrote me today he said the this crown height looked "awesome" on this size hat. Just thought my big melloned brothers would find this useful when trying to scale the look of the hat to meet their size. I also ordered it with a black lining. Some of you insist that white is the way to go, but they never showed the lining in "Raiders" and, when choosing gear, I look no farther than "Raiders". Aside from that my Grandmother had a huge collection of her Brother's and Father's fedoras from the 30's tucked away in the attic when I was little. She had them in every style and color, and I noticed that white linings usually only came in gray hats very light brown and cream-colored hats. The darker browns and blacks had black linings. Inspecting the hats made me raelize, too, that Indy's hat was not really a 'fedora' at all, even though I only seven or eight. Watch The History Channel's "Year by Year" sometime when they're covering that era. Fedoras are very low-crowned, flimsy, crappy little hats with bound brims in most cases. I support the notion that Indy's hat was most likely a modified Akubra. After all, Indy was really just a potluck of all the heroes Lucas loved as a child, and I guess the 'cowboy' influence had to show through somewhere. This last part is probably of no use to anyone, but by now you all know how I like to ramble....

I wear a 7 5/8, and your dimensions are pretty close to what I received from Joe Jr. I have the 6" crown, with the brim cut dimensionally to 2 7/8 front and back and 2 3/4 on the sides. It is awesome, though I am considering two modifications. First, with the added crown height to proportionally account for the big head, the 1.5-inch ribbon looks a bit narrow. I was hoping for 1 5/8 inch ribbon, but Joe tells me they only come in 1/4-inch increments - probably just go for the 1.75. Also, I may have him shave 1/8 off the sides of the brim. The hat looks terrific the way it is - I guess I just can't help tinkering!

I also agree on the lining - I really wanted the white when I initially ordered from Joe. After wearing the hat, I've kind of grown attached to the black.

I am sending it back for a little stretch - it is just a hair too tight - so I may go for the slight mods above.

Oh, yes - I hade an idea last night to steam the crown and take the pinch out - a home re-blocking, if you will. I did this and let the hat rest a bit. Then I took it and bashed it cold. The dent and the pinch looked much more natural and accurate. Also, it tended to shift depending on how I was wearing it - cocked back or pulled down tight. I'm going to leave it that way - much more accurate and natural looking.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: