The question begs to be asked, exactly which hat are you referring to?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from 24.116.27.213 on September 23, 2000 at 23:39:53:

In Reply to: Did you all know that Indy's hat isn't actually a fedora? Read on! posted by Richiana Jones on September 23, 2000 at 18:06:56:

: In fact Indy's hat is a "Trilby" according to the HJ website, and the information I have recieved from them.

: As one of the posts below points out, the fedora is a flimsy littles thing and was considered the "poorman's Trilby". The trilby is somewhat more rigid, and looks dressier...but, as our man Indy has shown us, with a little beating - It can be a piece of every adventure.

: Regards - Richiana

To me it is obvious that there were different hats used for each of the 3 films. The Raiders fedora is distinctively different from the other two. I think it was taller, and of course it was styled differently. The TOD fedora, or at least most of the hats used in that film, had a slight taper to the crown. That's why the Stetson Temple has a tapering crown. The fedora used in TLC, was more of a traditional styled fedora, it looks dressier to me, in addition to having a little shorter crown. When Spielberg and Lucas speak of Indy's hat, they refer to it as a fedora. Fedoras were very popular during this time period, as well as other hats. Almost everyone wore some type of hat or cap. That a fedora was a cheap hat is simply not true. It was worn by working stiffs, as well as the folks that had money. The poorer folks wore cheaper fedoras, while the upper class wore the more expensive fare. I do think that most fedoras had very little stiffener in the felt. That was probably due to style and style alone. And most had that silly looking upturned brim in the back. Thank God indy didn't go for this style, or I wouldn't be wearing a fedora today. I hate em! Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]