Re: Herbert Johnson Fedoras and such.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cueball from 1Cust225.tnt1.brunswick.ga.da.uu.net on September 24, 2000 at 11:22:58:

In Reply to: Re: Fedora's and such posted by Jay Melius on September 23, 2000 at 23:36:53:

: Thanks for the info. Got a few questions for you:

: They make at least two Indy hats that I'm aware of (if i'm not wrong)
: Should I specify with "I'd like a Raiders hat, Temple hat, etc." and did you
: get the black or brown band?

: Can you explain the gold ink initials thing as well?
: Anything else I should know. Shipping? How long? How'd you pay. etc.

: Thanks again
: jay

I ordered a Herbert Johnson "Poet" in the Indiana Jones configuration this past spring. I didn't care which movie it's supposed to replicate since they all look the same AND different depending on which movie and which scene you watch. I don't believe there is any ONE true Indiana Jones fedora. Anway, it arrived within two weeks after I called them and gave them my credit card number. The girl on the phone was polite but acted like she was dealing with yet another geek or nerd who couldn't get a date. She even asked, "So you want to look like Indiana Jones, eh?" I told her I was tired of people mistaking me for Mel Gibson and I was hoping the hat would help.

When I got the hat I was appalled at the quality of craftsmanship. The center dent and front pinch were way off-center (between 1/2 and one inch!!) and the dimensional cut of the brim (where they trim the sides of the brim to be a little narrower than the front and back) left discernible corners (I think it should be rounded all the way around). Plus, the bow was tacked on crookedly. I believe the owner should distress their own hats if they so wish. But I kept this $300 mess since it's THE Indiana Jones hat and fixed it up as best I could. I didn't get my initials in gold on the inside of the sweat band. If my name were Ichabod Johnson or Ishmael Jabab, I would've done it (I.J., get it? Sorry.). Then in July I bought a Peters Bros., and for a little over half the money got a far superior and MUCH MORE Indy-looking hat. It is indeed a work of art and is flawless. Plus, Joe Jr. will customize it anyway you want. I didn't care about the color of the red lining but they offer it in the Indiana Jones-correct white, now for an extra $10.

The bottom line is to make yourself happy. If money is of no concern and you just have to have the same kind of hat Ford wore in the movies, then get the HJ. If you want a better hat that is a dead ringer for the Indiana Jones fedora AND you want to save some money, then I'd recommend the Peters Bros. as the way to go. Then you could sink the extra $125 into the Noel Howard pants or Lee Kepler holster and gunbelt combo.

It's your choice. Good luck.

Dang, this is serious business. I may have to trot out a farmer-sock monkey story or two to lighten things up. I invented them, you know.

Cueball

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]