They put it in the trunk; they didn't have mini-vans in those days. (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cueball from 1Cust13.tnt1.brunswick.ga.da.uu.net on September 25, 2000 at 17:46:01:

In Reply to: I dunno... posted by John Freudenthal on September 22, 2000 at 18:55:42:

: I was looking at a book in the library on U-Boats today, to try to figure this one out. Usually I know torpedoes are loaded through an angled tube. But I have never seen a very large hatch on a U-boat. I don't think you would want a big hole in the pressure hull. I figured maybe they had big hatches on supply U-boats, but I could not verify this--at any rate, the Germans didn't have any supply U-boats until after the war began.

: And, the U-boat was submerged at least for part of the journey. When we first see Indy on the sub, nobody is on deck--the sub is buttoned up getting ready to dive, and when we see the Nazi island base for the first time, it is through the sub's periscope, I believe.
: : U boats had to have large hatches to load crates of food and other supplies for extended missions. As for them going under water, they only did that when actively hunting ships or for training. Once underwater, their speed is drastically reduced and they're running on batteries instead of engines. I would think that they were trying to get to the island as fast as possible, so they would have stayed on the surface. The thing that bothers me is that at sometime during that journey, SOMEBODY from the Uboat would have been on deck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]