Re: help with colege essay!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from kbowen.xyplex.com on September 26, 2000 at 22:43:22:

In Reply to: help with colege essay! posted by German Mechanic on September 26, 2000 at 21:46:31:

Well, not to make this sound to Clintonian ( is that a word?? ), but it depends on your definition of "identify." Is it that you see qualities you share with said character, in this case Indy, or is it that you wish you had some of his qualities? What is it about Indiana Jones that inspires you? What character traits does he have that you have? that you want? Do any of the Indy films remind you of experiences in your own life? Not that you'd go toe to toe with Nazi's for the the Lost Ark, but rather can you think of a situation in your life that you handled similarly to how you think Indy would have done so? was this a conscious decision? What character traits lead you to believe that Indy would have reacted this way to the situation? My own personal theory on any film character is that we identify with those that remind us of ourselves, our past, or how we would like to be. What ideas embodied in the Indiana Jones trilogy do you find most memorable.

In your shoes, I would try to outline a chracter sketch of Indy. Next, perform a similar character sketch of yourself. All characters ( and real people ) are products of the time in which they live. Mention and explore that concept, but don't dwell on it, as you don't live in 1930's America. Focus on Indiana's character traits. Do the same for yourself, and if you want to be daring, ask others around you about your character, and what flaws you have as well as strengths. Let's face it, no one likes to admit their flaws, though we all have 'em... Next, explore how ideas expressed in the trilogy relate to the way you perceive the world, and how you want the world to be. What do you see as good in Indy's "world"? bad? What does this say about your hopes and aspirations?

Sorry to be so long winded. I hope this helped...
Brian K.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]