Got my Wested Jacket ... finally!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Heltsley from cx578781-b.escnd1.sdca.home.com on September 28, 2000 at 17:27:10:

Well, I haven't ever been a constant poster on here, but I thought I'd give you all my experience with my Wested. It's a tad long, but it might have some valuable tips for people placing an order in the future. Here goes:

I originally placed my order in early Nov. 1999. I ordered the "vanilla" Raiders jacket, with new finish in 42" long. Called up and spoke with Jerry, and talked with him for a while about it, and placed my order. I gave him my measurements, and asked for extra room in the chest area. (I even inflated the base numbers I gave him, so it should have been a bit more roomy!) I knew the holiday season was coming quick, and that I placed my order late, so I didn't expect my jacket until after the New Year. My estimated delivery date was Dec. 22nd, however. On Dec. 23rd, I called Wested again, and Jerry told me that it'd be 4-6 weeks. No problems with me, I expected that one. :)

Fast forward to Feb. 17th. When the mail man pulled into my driveway, I knew it was here. I ran out like a 6-year old on Christmas morning, and got my jacket. Went inside and tried it on. All I could say was, "Wow!". Pictures do NOT do this jacket justice! Everything was great, except the pocket was on the right side, not the left. (Oh well, no biggie. I can deal with that.) Then I zipped it up to see how it fit closed. Hm... it seemed a bit tight... Sure enough, if I stretched my arms, the jacket pulled tight across my chest and "bubbled up". Wow - tighter than even a suit jacket would be. That's weird, I thought I asked them to make it roomy in the chest. Slightly upset, but willing to deal with it, I called up Wested and spoke with Jerry. He apologized, and asked me to mail it back to them; They'd re-make a jacket for me. They'd put a 44 body with 42-long sleeves on it. I had no problem with that. Off the jacket goes the next week.

Now here, some of the delay is my fault. I didn't call them for a long time because I figured that they'd be very busy. I actually didn't call them back until August 4th. But, I was in no rush, really; I figured I'd let them take their time, and get it right. August came around and I thought I should call and check in. I called up and spoke with Jerry. After a few minutes of searching, he found my order. Seems that it got returned fine, but they never checked it in as a re-make. Jerry apologized again, and told me they'd get right on it, and I could expect it in 2 weeks, as they weren't busy. (Wow! How's that for service?)

Two weeks pass, no jacket. Called back again and spoke to Jerry. He wasn't sure why it hadn't been started, but he assured me that he'd get it taken care of, and I should get it within two weeks. Sept. 6 comes around... No jacket. Called up and spoke to Jerry again. He had no idea why it hadn't been completed, but he told me that he'd try and get it pushed to the front of the order line. If that failed, he'd just send me a 44-long off of the shelf, and get it out to me two days later. Either way, I should have a jacket within 10 days. No problem, I can deal with that; Jerry sounded like he was a bit ... perturbed as to why this was taking so long, so I knew he'd get it taken care of. And, my dad's a 44-long, and I've worn some of his jackets before... They fit fine, just a bit long in the arm.

Well, last week, I got my jacket. Again, it was like Christmas. :) Got the jacket, threw it on, and ... what the?? Instead of the arms being a little long, now they're almost to the tips of my fingers! With my arms at my side, you can only see the first knuckle of my index, middle, and ring fingers! Is this really a 44 long? Yup.. I checked the tag. Well, I can always get it tailored down to fit. Better too long than too short. However, everything else is perfect now! Jacket fits great, other than sleeves. (Side note: I had my dad try it on; It's too long in the arms on him, too. And he's a 44-long, so what gives?) So finally, about 8 months later, I've got my jacket. Now I've just got to get it to a tailor for the arms to be re-sized.

So here's a few questions and comments:

1. The Wested is a GREAT jacket, and my problems would NOT prevent me from ordering another in the future. Jerry was always gracious and helpful, and my hat goes off to him. I plan on calling him and thanking him verbally on Monday.

2. Is Jerry the only person there who answers the phone? Over the course of nearly a year, I've called around a dozen times, and I always get him. Not complaining, just curious. :)

3. If you do order a jacket, make sure you specify exactly how the jacket should fit. It sounds dumb, but I thought they understood what I wanted, and I got the wrong fit.

4. If you don't get your jacket by the set delivery date, or you have to send it back, keep checking up! I might have had my jacket 3 months ago if I had.

5. Now that we've established (in a different thread) that the English don't have biceps, do they have extra-long arms? Any ideas on what's up with my sleeve lengths?

Good luck to all future Wested owners, and thanks for reading this long story. I hope it helps someone. :)

- John Heltsley

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]