Report on visit to Flight Suits...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on September 29, 2000 at 16:48:53:

Thing to report on:

Gussets and the lining: The question was raised as to whether the lining also has the gussets, so as to make them truly functional. The answer is, yes they do. The lining does contain the gusset as well.

Scaling of the details: This has always bugged me about other jackets. Ok, so Ford wears a 40 in RotLA. I wear a 48. My Wested 48 has he same size cargo pockets as a size 40, so I have “little bitty pockets”. While I was at FS, I took part (to a degree) in the proper scaling selection to get the correct proportions across sizes. In short, the cargo pocket in the 48 will be 15% larger then that used in the 40. We compared versions 5%, 10%, and 15% larger, and the one giving the proper scale was the 15% larger pocket. And, viola! My hands will actually fit inside these! Speaks to attention to the details.

Lots-o-skins: I reviewed more and more and MORE of the skins they have available, and they have some very nice stuff! The standard lambskin is beautiful, and the horsehide they’re using on mine is great. I asked about the stiffness of the horsehide, and was told that some of the older jackets made from horse are like plywood. That is due to how horsehide was made 40-60 years ago. The stuff they carry today is still stiff compared to lamb when new, but it breaks in very nicely after wearing it for a bit.

Also, they have some interesting veg tanned goatskin. It has the pebble finish common to goat, but has the shiny surface and water resistance of veg tanned horse. Interesting stuff. Their chrome-tanned goat is very nice, with a tighter grain then others I’ve seen. Also, they have some beautiful deerskin. The stuff has the look and feel of lambskin, but is much more durable – though still not as durable as horse or goat.

What else? Hmmmm… I think that is a bout it. My jacket will likely be delivered next Tuesday or Wednesday. I will then be breaking it in over a 4-day weekend. It is my son’s birthday next week, so I’ll be chasing him around Legoland, Seaworld, and Disneyland (Tom Sawyer Island, here we come!). Needless to say, the jacket will get a workout!

Hey MK – sorry I missed you!

Cheers!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: