Re: Flightsuit: The Hard Facts...Goathide?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenal0 from 204-233-248-066.chicago.verio.net on September 30, 2000 at 10:21:35:

In Reply to: Re: Flightsuit: The Hard Facts...Goathide? posted by The Spatsman on September 30, 2000 at 02:29:06:

: : Well, it is Friday evening and I am in my hotel room recovering from an acute case of freeway grid lock. Burning big rigs and jack-knived trucks barred my way, but nothing stands in the way of an adventure. I made it to Flightsuit with barley in time to get a grand tour from the gracious Dave Marshal. I had greatly under estimated their facility. It is very impressive. Also impressive is their list of clientele (i.e. Blue Angels and other elite military). I know, you are saying: GET TO THE JACKET!!. Ok. The jacket is the state of the art Indy jacket hands down. No question. The quality of their craftmanship is top notch. Patterson's details were adhered to the letter. I am not too fond oh the horseshide (sorry Patterson), but the lamb, goat and cow hides were super. I documented the jacket and various skins using the color reference system I did at Wested. You will have to wait until Monday when I return to the office to see them. Sorry. A big thanks to those responsible for making this happen. NOTE: I saw in the show room a nickle zipper that would great for those wanting silver. It looked very sturdy. I will difinitely have these guys make me a jacket. Hmmmmm, now which hide should I get?......

: I gotta admit, the type of hide has been a real concern of mine as of late. I understand that Flightsuits will allow you to return a jacket if you aren't happy with the fit or the hide choice, but I would like to score a direct hit on the first order, if possible.
: I understand that lambskin is very vogue, looks good and is the hide Harrison chose for his jacket, but it isn't known as the most durable leather out there, though it is strong.
: The leathers choosen for strength seem to be horsehide and cowhide. Granted, they are very dependable hides when subjected to rough activity, but they don't have the look or the drape that lambskin does.
: However, one leather seems to be very vogue, tough as iron, lightweight and with a very nice drape ...Goathide.
: Goathide, however, hasn't recieved much comment on this forum, yet leather merchants and craftsman seem to consider it a premium choice for outer garments. I have read some comments that goathide is to garment makers what kangaroohide is to a whipmaker...the best choice.
: (Yes, I know there are kangaroo jackets out there, from U.S.Wings, but roo-hide just doesn't have the same look as what our unshaven hero chooses to wear in the field)
: I wanna know more about goathide...how it wears, adapts body shape, distress with age, handles scratches, holds dye...texture, weight, temperature, everything.
: Anyone ever wear goathide? Anyone have any idea how an Indy jacket looks in goathide...MK?
: ~The Spatsman

I have a goatskin G-1 flight jacket. It is goatskin. The skin is a tight pebbly grain and the leather was soft from the start. Not as soft as my lambskin jackets but softer than some of my horsehide jackets however I think the tanning and dyeing process play more of a part in how the jacket will look and drape than the hide itself. I have some chrome tanned heavy horsedhide jackets which are drum dyed that were very stiff a year ago and are still pretty stiff today. They show very little signs of wear around the seams and sleeve area. I have some veg tanned horsehide jackets that were very soft and pliable from the start and due to the dyeing process are showing some nice wear and fading. They look and feel well broken in.
Another variable is the weight of the hide. If it is heavier then it will not drape as nice as a lighter weigh hide. The Navy has specified goatskin on their jackets since day one so it is very duarable. We need Patterson to order one in horsehide and one in goatskin and then post more photos. Whats another $400 when it is for the good of the forum!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]