Re: Flightsuit: The Hard Facts...Goathide?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by California Smith from 209.37.101.229 on September 30, 2000 at 11:03:37:

In Reply to: Re: Flightsuit: The Hard Facts...Goathide? posted by Kenal0 on September 30, 2000 at 10:21:35:

Well, I like goatskin. I have two A-2 jackets in goatskin and it is true that it is very light and durable. According to "Hell Bent for Leather, the Saga of the A-2 and G-1 Flight Jacket," goatskin is #2 on the durable scale for leather, only behind Kangaroo. It is soft and drapes well from day one. There are a lot of variations in hides, but generally it is a more pebblly, grainy leather than lambskin, but it will absorb more punishment.

It does not look the same as lambskin, but I would go for it over horeshide. I personally think horsehide is absolutely the wrong leather for and Indy jacket. It is way too stiff and takes way too long to break in. It all goes back to what we are looking for in our quest for Indy gear. Do we want things that an actual Indiana Jones would wear, or are we trying to duplicate the movie gear? Sure the real Indiana Jones would maybe have gotten horesehide back in the 30's, but plenty of jackets were made in cowhide and goatskin. As someone else pointed out earlier, the G1 jacket has ALLWAYS been made of goatskin. The A2 was specified as horsehside originally, but many goatskin models and cowhide were produced.

Anyway, I just can't see the horsehide version doing it for me. One of the things I like most about Indy's jacket is the way it flows and moves around and horsehide ain't gonna do that for a few years.

But hey, to each his own!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]