Re: PB vs Miller hats

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Freudenthal from ws126-252.critz.msstate.edu on October 01, 2000 at 21:42:00:

In Reply to: PB vs Miller hats posted by Dave Alexander on September 30, 2000 at 20:00:36:

I don't have a PB, but I do have one of the Miller hats. It is fairly close to the ToD or Crusade hat. As Fedora said, the "Atomic Flange" brim is ridiculous. I wet down the brim on mine and ironed it out flat (with a piece of paper in between), then wet down the brim again and reshaped a slight curl onto the brim's very edge, as seen in Last Crusade. Then I put in the center crease and the dents on the crown. One thing that is lacking on the Miller is the "stovepipe" crown--while watching the films, note that the sides of the crown go straight up, all the way to the top, and then there is a sharp angle at the top. On the Miller, the top of the crown kind of rounds off this corner, and I have not been able to rectify this. Otherwise, from certain points of view, it looks like The Hat.

I didn't do a dimensional cut, nor did I replace the 1-3/4" grosgrain ribbon with 1-1/2" Petersham ribbon. I just folded back the top of my ribbon so that only a 1-1/2" strip shows.

One more thing of note: I had a lot of trouble with service at Miller hats. But overall, I am pleased with my Miller, as it is my first fedora and shaping it myself has given me an eye for the details that make The Hat.

: With the rainy season fast approaching, I'm finally in the market for a real hat. I've checked out both the Miller Indy's and the PB's.
: Does anyone have comments regarding both.

: Obviously PB are custom made but it seems to be the one to get nowadays. How are accuracys of the Millers?

: thanks in advanced

: Dave

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: