Darkening the leather...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on October 02, 2000 at 14:02:09:

In Reply to: Re: Vintage Lamb and the Holy Grail of Jacket Materials... posted by MK on October 02, 2000 at 13:53:09:

: It's funny you should be interested in the New Zealand lamb. I have been thinking about that one and have a piece on my desk right now. When Patterson says it is "lighter", he is talking about the color. It is actually thicker then the lamb or goat. The Pecards is a good idea. I will try that when I get home. What I like about it is the variation in color, like I said earlier. It maybe possible to darken it in a splotchy way with a dark brown. It is called "painting down" in make-up terms: Taking the lightist color and building up with darker colors. Has anyone ever asked how to darken a jacket? How do they color leather? You can't do that with shoe polish can you?

We kicked around a lot of ways to darken and maintain the Wested predistressed hides awhile back. The problem with it was that the pigment would wear off very fast. I believe John had one that was basically beige after a year! Anyway, with a brand new Wested predistressed in hand, I applied Pecards. It permanantl took the color down and has maintained the pigment as well - more then a year later and it has seen a lot of wear.

I'd suggest sticking with the Pecard treatment, as it also feeds the leather. Dyes and other pigments applied after the fact tend to be uneven. IMHO.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: