Re: Pardon another post on the virtues of leather, but...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace064.utsi.edu on October 02, 2000 at 18:41:05:

In Reply to: Pardon another post on the virtues of leather, but... posted by Patterson on October 02, 2000 at 18:36:23:

I can say that deer skin is indeed a very hearty leather, as I have a 12 foot custom made bull whip made from two hides that I had laying around, and the whip, do date, is still in as good a shape as it was when made over 12 years ago, and after quite a bit of use. If it will hold up to repeated cracking, it surely will hold up to a jacket's wear and tear. Regards. Michaelson

: I'm debating the different leathers in my mind for a second and hopefully final Flight Suits jacket purchase for a long time. I'll have a bulletproof horsehide version. Goat has never done anything for me - no offense guys!

: The three I'm weighing are 1.) just good old new lambskin, 2.) vintage New Zealand lambskin with annual/semiannual Pecards maintenance, and 3.) deerskin. The new Finish lambskin is authentic, but will take time to break in. The vintage lamb is thicker then the other lamb, and has "the look" very quickly (and it will match the one I've agreed to buy my wife - Merry Christmas, Honey!). The deerskin is a LOT tougher then the lamb, and looks almost identical, other than it is not as shiny-new, and it is very, VERY dark brown.

: Does anybody out there have any experience with deerskin?

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: