Re: Saving Private Ryan - ALTERED HISTORY

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ntraill from port66.ii.ca on August 17, 1998 at 22:45:59:

In Reply to: Re: Saving Private Ryan - ALTERED HISTORY posted by justin on July 31, 1998 at 22:42:18:

The story Saving Private Ryan seems to be interpreted in philosophical terms. I believe that it is best noted that saving
private Ryan was (is) about a group of American Soldier saving a private from behind enemy lines to bring home to the grieving
mother. The value of Life. How we as a people place value on the people we care for and how situations and events will effect
the way we view that value, either moral or ethical or anyother. Yes there was American bandstanding with the flag.. but
look past that to the bigger picture. This is not a story of the carnage of Americans on the Beaches of Normandy. The
graphic presentation of this at the start of the show presented the horror of war. I was touched because I served my Queen
and country as well. The images were amazingly presented by Spielberg. A very good job.
But Spielberg and the authour of the story did not loose sight of the story. Did private Ryan want to go home? Why would
the private say no. Comradship for his fellow man, an Esprite-de-Corps.
We make our decisions and live by them, regardless of our nationality. There are foreign films out there that depict the same
mode of thought. One is "All is Quiet on the Western Front" about a brave German soldier sent into battle during the first
World War. A young man becomes a man at the hands of his friends and loved ones. A drastic depiction of how War can devastate
our lives.
Food for thought.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: