Re: Wested jackets....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on October 03, 2000 at 11:36:35:

In Reply to: Wested jackets.... posted by Shawnkara on October 03, 2000 at 03:36:04:

: I've been wearing, studying and tinkering with my Wested for about a week now and realize that soon I will have to bite it and get a Flight Suits Raiders jacket. I have no doubt that Peter Botwright designed and made the jackets in the film but that was twenty years ago, and how was he to know what Indy would become? Keep in mind that Wested Leather was only 'found out' a couple of years ago (per Indygear's 'about' page if I'm not mistaken). If Peter had kept the original specs and patterns for all that time don't you think he would have made the jackets available much sooner, had he had a real desire to do so? Instead, a hearty gear seeker had to track him down and drag him, kicking and screaming, into the spotlight. There's a paraphrased quote on Indygear by Peter saying that he wished his involvement with the Indy films had not been made available on the internet; the demand for the jacket had disrupted his business. Yet just months later he had a site up and running that seemed to be built around the Raiders jacket. In the end I think, like any business man, he saw the profit potential. He remembered what he could, salvaged what he had and did the best he could (or was willing to do?). I think his current offering is really just a mass produced costume piece; a vauge shadow of the original. My opinion, now that I have the jacket.

Well said. A few points? Leather Concessionaires preceded Wested - in reality, they are one in the same and have existed since, I believe, 1978 or 1979? Peter has worked with the film industry but also has been in retail for some time as well. I fully agree with your next to the last sentence, which I believe hits the nail squarely on the head - "I think his current offering is really just a mass produced costume piece; a vague shadow of the original..." - that is the essence of what you're buying from Wested. I give the man his due for that as there is value in it. Where I take issue is with the representations he makes apart from that.

IMHO - Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: