Re: Herbert Johnson Hat

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on August 18, 1998 at 07:39:34:

In Reply to: Herbert Johnson Hat posted by Matthew Walker on August 17, 1998 at 15:23:16:

: I got my herbert Johnson hat today and I can say that I am thorougly pleased. It looks identical to the hats used in the movies. The ribbon it comes with is very dark brown and looks almost black and is 39 mm wide. The lining is the same as the one as in last crusade that you can see briefly when indy takes his hat off and points the interior of the hat towards the camera when he is in donovans office or whatever that place was. It is a white satin lining with a red round seal with gold lettering. The brim is wider on the front and back than on the sides and the hat is very tall. The brim is very stiff and can be flipped up in the front like Harrison Ford did when he was donating the hat to the smithsonian. The rest of the hat isn't as stiff and is actually pretty moldable which is consistent with the hats in the films because Indy's hat is always getting mis-shaped throughout the movies. The only discrepancy that I noticed is that it might be slightly darker but in some shots of the movie it looks like the exact same color. This might be because the hats in the movies were stressed or maybe that color felt is unavailable but I still say even if it is a slightly different color it is still the most accurate represantion of Indy's hat. I don't have any idea why so many people are so apposed to HJ in this forum but I totally disagree with them.

: Matt Walker

Matt, I don't recall anyone being opposed to the HJ hat. It has been the Gary White Indy fedora and it's enormous price tag I've seen discussed. I personally would be tickled to death to own a HJ, but since I wear my fedora literally everyday, I think I'd be a bit nervous wearing an item on my head that costs that much that could blow off my head on a windy Tennessee winter day. I don't think my heart could take the shock. I do have a question for you. Is the felt on your hat an overall "hard" finish, or more of a velour type finish? The Poet's come both ways. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]