Re: My thoughts on the FS Expedition Jacket...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenal0 from d180.focal4.interaccess.com on October 03, 2000 at 18:03:32:

In Reply to: My thoughts on the FS Expedition Jacket... posted by Patterson on October 03, 2000 at 17:40:44:

: I received my Flight Suits Expedition jacket today. Enclosed is the email I sent off to Michaelson, Brody, and Indiana John - copying Dave Marshall at Flight Suits. I've enclosed a pic I was able to get quickly - more to come.

: "My initial reaction to putting on the jacket was that, as we've discussed, it was terrific, but it felt just a bit short. Well, I've reviewed my notes, looked at screen shots, and spent some time on the phone with Dave Marshall. The consensus is that the Wested cuts their jackets a hair longer then the original jacket, and US Wings cuts their jacket a bit oversized. In addition, the horsehide is still brand-spanking new and needs to relax a bit - that'll take a bit of wear. I'm up for the challenge!

: Standing relaxed, this jacket sits 3/4 inch below my belt in front and is dead-even with the top of by back pocket. Sounds perfect to me. The sleeve length is perfect, and they "break" in the right way, so the cuffs don't end up at my elbows when I bend my arms. When I raise my hands - even over my head - the jacket barely comes up an inch above the top of my jeans - meaning the gussets really work. I can stretch forward, and the cuffs only come up just North of my watch, so the bi-swing pleat works as well. I know we've talked about what this jacket was meant to be, but the realization is only just now hitting me. This is a fully functional Raiders stunt jacket. It is really the essence of what we could not get anywhere else. I can move in this thing like no other jacket I've ever owned. The other jackets are just look-alike "clothes", while this jacket really works. I think we've achieved what we set out to do, and I am very pleased.

: Have I mentioned that the horsehide will take some getting used too? I've talked to a guy here at work who is a horsehide A2 junkie. He apparently has a closet full of Eastman's and a few Flight Suits as well. He spotted this one a mile away, and he just laughed at me - "You've never had a horsehide jacket, have you? Well, you've taken your first step into a very big universe!" He said that indeed the hide would relax and drape in the next month or so - depending upon wear. I'm surprised at how light in weight it is, and it is also very comfortable to wear - even with the temperature being over 70 degrees outside. Honestly, I expected it to be as heavy or heavier then my cowhide Wested or Cooper/US Wings jackets.

: One thing - I may have the side straps cut back a bit. I think they increased them in scale to the rest of the jacket, and it may not have been necessary. That's a very easy fix, though.

: Again, all in all I think we have something very special here.

: Cheers!

: Patterson"

Jacket looks great. My personal opinion is that your jacket will look
like a well broke in Raiders jacket before mine which is lambskin. The lambskin is just too soft and will not show the creasing and patina like the horsehide is going to. If I did not have 3 horsehide A-2s in my closet along with a few horsehide motorcycle jackets I would order 1 today. Now wear it, sit on it, throw it around a bit (all in a loving way) and in a short time that jacket will look like
a well worn Raiders jacket. The lambkskin will never show the wear like that horsehide. Very nice
Kenal0

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]