Concerning the tapering crown

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-63.col.cableone.net on October 04, 2000 at 20:39:09:

In Reply to: Does Peters Bros. use thick felt? posted by Austin Powers on October 04, 2000 at 03:19:15:

: I've seen the pictures of Red Four's custom Indy hat from Peters Bros. and the felt kinda seems thicker than other hats. You can really tell on the brim cut and even around the creases. Has anyone tried to get that razor-sharp Raiders pinch on theirs? It almost seems like it wouldn't work. Some of the Peters Bros. pics look like the crowns even taper slightly. I'm seriously thinking about ordering one for myself but I'd like to make sure it'll look exactly like the hat he's wearing in the idol and bar scenes. How lenient is Joe Jr. with requests? Will he make a hat from scratch with your exact preferences?

: Thanks,
: Austin....Danger Powers

My first PB fedora arrived with a tapered crown, like the TOD fedora. Joe doesn't block in the taper, it is the result of a really deep crease on the top. I just gave mine a shot of steam, and made the top crease shallower, and in the process pulled out the sides of the hat straight . No taper. This second hat arrived perfect. No taper. I had to do nothing but put it on my head. As far as the crease, I have a pretty sharp crease in mine, But not as sharp as the Raiders version. This felt is thicker. The felt in the film hat was thinner. You could probably get a sharper crease by using a vise and a dose of steam. Pretty drastic measures, but I bet it would work!. Do yourself a favor, and get this hat. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]