Re: Herbert Johnson Hat cautions...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on August 18, 1998 at 12:59:23:

In Reply to: Re: Herbert Johnson Hat followup question... posted by Greg on August 18, 1998 at 11:59:03:

: Oh, one other thing: If by "hard finish" you mean the felt is a little stiff when you get it, then maybe it is a hard finish, but this stiffness goes away over time. However, the durability of my first hat is still the highest-and I did used to worry about something happening to my hat, but just as I spent $190 each on three pairs now of the shoes and just wear them without worrying, I kind of take that attitude. I bought the name and the quality, but Indy never worried about getting his dirty, so if that is why I bought the hat (because it is the same make and model as Indy's), then I should just wear it, be as careful as I would be with any item of clothing I own, and chalk it up to "another adventure" so to speak if it gets dirty. If the hat is as high quality as it appears, it will come clean, and if it fits my head right, I shouldn't lose it in the wind. (My old one is a little tight now and would stay on in a hurricane!). At any rate, people spend their money on different things-whatever is important to the individual. If someone can't justify spending $270 on a hat, that's fine. I see their point. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. C'est la vie!

: Greg

The coat is zipped to my body, the shoes are tied to my feet, the hat has a mind of it's own when weather is involved. Yes, I have worn out several hats myself, and the subject of the quality product isn't the point here, but they still tend to leave your head when you least want them to. Check out the outtakes from LC and see how many times Ford lost his in the horse/tank chase. Anyway, just remember Indy didn't pay the kind of prices we're dealing with. The fedora's of his time period were relatively inexpensive, because that was the era of quality and longevity, not planned obsolescence. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]