Monkey King...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aaron from usr4-modem054.runestone.net on October 08, 2000 at 20:34:54:

I just finished reading that Monkey King script that's been posted around the 'net recently.

All I can say is, it was interesting, in a kind of stupid way. It seemed to be very far from an Indy story...

Actually, in some ways it was an Indy story--it was a Martin Caidin-esque, freaky, tripped out, absolutely no way down-to-earth story that seemed to merely include Indy rather than involve him.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Has anybody else who's read this thing notice anything outstandingly "off" with this script? Such as the fact that the opening--which sets us up for a resolution with that creepy old Lord guy, is never explained throughout the rest of the story? Plus, when did Betsy all of the sudden learn to speak to gorillas?

Also, I was really dissappointed that Chris Columbus tried to turn Indy into a superhero for his next adventures, with the inclusion of that "hooped staff."

However, in my opinion, a select few moments did happen to capture the Indy spirit. The scene in Indy's office, to me, was great, and his embarassing moments with Betsy [when wrongfully interpretted by Clare] are often well-scripted.

Another un-Indy aspect, though, was the unusual amount of graphic violence. It seems to me that every Indy movie so far, has had one fairly violent scene: the bloodspray on the flying wing, the disembodied heart [well, and the Thuggee getting trapped under the conveyor, too], and Donovan's rapid aging. This script, however, seemed to delight in finding as many disgusting decapitations and wounds as it possibly could.

And back on a positive note, I was happy to have the mechanical-armed Nazi finally make an appearance, after having been proposed for Raiders. This idea always interested me because it was so over-the-top [although this Nazi could have easily and effectively been combined with his commanding officer to cut down on unneeded characters]. Unfortunately, this guy was normal compared to most of the scenes and settings in this script.

SPOILERS DONE

This script had traces of other franchises in it--I noticed the X-Files, and a lot of Star Wars influence in this thing. It even seemed some scenes were even taken directly from Return of the Jedi [think "human feast"]!

This isn't in any way a coherent or all-encompassing review of the script, but I just thought I'd post some initial reactions to it so that I might get some other opinions/insights from you guys.

I'm brimming over with things I dislike about this piece, so right now, all I can really say is, thank God this wasn't made, and I highly disagree with MovieHeadlines' [or whoever it was] recent review of this thing.

Comments?

Aaron

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: