Where can I get this thing? (NM)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kent Allard from dial42.insolwwb.net on October 08, 2000 at 21:21:49:

In Reply to: Monkey King... posted by Aaron on October 08, 2000 at 20:34:54:

: I just finished reading that Monkey King script that's been posted around the 'net recently.

: All I can say is, it was interesting, in a kind of stupid way. It seemed to be very far from an Indy story...

: Actually, in some ways it was an Indy story--it was a Martin Caidin-esque, freaky, tripped out, absolutely no way down-to-earth story that seemed to merely include Indy rather than involve him.

: SPOILERS AHEAD

: Has anybody else who's read this thing notice anything outstandingly "off" with this script? Such as the fact that the opening--which sets us up for a resolution with that creepy old Lord guy, is never explained throughout the rest of the story? Plus, when did Betsy all of the sudden learn to speak to gorillas?

: Also, I was really dissappointed that Chris Columbus tried to turn Indy into a superhero for his next adventures, with the inclusion of that "hooped staff."

: However, in my opinion, a select few moments did happen to capture the Indy spirit. The scene in Indy's office, to me, was great, and his embarassing moments with Betsy [when wrongfully interpretted by Clare] are often well-scripted.

: Another un-Indy aspect, though, was the unusual amount of graphic violence. It seems to me that every Indy movie so far, has had one fairly violent scene: the bloodspray on the flying wing, the disembodied heart [well, and the Thuggee getting trapped under the conveyor, too], and Donovan's rapid aging. This script, however, seemed to delight in finding as many disgusting decapitations and wounds as it possibly could.

: And back on a positive note, I was happy to have the mechanical-armed Nazi finally make an appearance, after having been proposed for Raiders. This idea always interested me because it was so over-the-top [although this Nazi could have easily and effectively been combined with his commanding officer to cut down on unneeded characters]. Unfortunately, this guy was normal compared to most of the scenes and settings in this script.

: SPOILERS DONE

: This script had traces of other franchises in it--I noticed the X-Files, and a lot of Star Wars influence in this thing. It even seemed some scenes were even taken directly from Return of the Jedi [think "human feast"]!

: This isn't in any way a coherent or all-encompassing review of the script, but I just thought I'd post some initial reactions to it so that I might get some other opinions/insights from you guys.

: I'm brimming over with things I dislike about this piece, so right now, all I can really say is, thank God this wasn't made, and I highly disagree with MovieHeadlines' [or whoever it was] recent review of this thing.

: Comments?

: Aaron

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: