Re: Jumping into the frey...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from 24.116.27.205 on October 11, 2000 at 18:06:08:

In Reply to: Jumping into the frey... posted by Patterson on October 11, 2000 at 17:45:54:

: First of all - no self-respecting Indy Fan can ever have enough Pecards!

: That said, I actually used a good amount of Pecards on a large (10" x 12") sample of the lambskin Flight Suits sent to me. The lambskin they offer seemed to soak it right up! They use very high quality skins that require less finish. As such, the leather still breathes. The new finish lamb did not absorb the Pecard as fast as the vintage lamb, but it did absorb it within a minute or so - compared to the new finish Wested uses where the Pecard just sits there... Also, the surface remained just a bit tacky - due too the waxes in the Pecards - but it buffed up very nicely and was as soft as before. The treatment had dulled the leather a bit, but it also gained body with the added moisture introduced to the leather fibers.

: Bottom line - it does seem to work just fine, though it will probably be more work then Lexol would entail.

: Hope this helps!

: Cheers!

: Patterson

You know I have read that some leathers are conditioned at the tannery using various fats, etc. Some even have a bit of wax used in this final process, and I have a suspicion that the leather that Wested uses may be of this variety, at least in the new lambskin. This would explain why it doesn't absorb the Pecards very well. I would just about bet that if you had an old Wested that hadn't been treated for an extended period of time, it would absorb the Pecards very well. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]